It’s time to sign up for health insurance!
This year, open enrollment is from November 1 – December 15, 2017. The Affordable Care Act is still law, which means you and your family may still qualify for financial assistance to help pay for health insurance. Here are the key things to know:
- Open Enrollment begins November 1. That is the first day that you can enroll, re-enroll, or change health plans for 2018. The enrollment period is shorter this year; you must sign up before December 15th to be eligible.
- If you signed up last year, but don’t log in to www.healthcare.gov to update your application and enroll in a plan by December 15, 2017, you may be automatically enrolled in a 2018 plan. The best way to make sure you have a 2018 plan that works for you, with the savings you qualify for, is to log in, update your application, and view all your plan options for 2018.
- Despite attempted changes to federal law, subsidies based on your income are still available to help make health coverage more affordable. Find out whether you are eligible by logging on to www.healthcare.gov.
- You can apply for coverage four different ways: 1) Online; 2) By phone; 3) With in-person help; or 4) With a paper application.
- Please note that www.healthcare.gov will not be available on Sunday mornings due to website maintenance, but it will be available to use on Sundays after 12 PM EST.
- To make the sign-up process as smooth as possible, have the following information available: your income, ID, proof of citizenship or lawful presence, Social Security number and ZIP code.
- As you check your own insurance options, remember to make sure your children are covered too! If they are eligible for Medicaid or CHIP, enrollment for those programs are open 365 days a year. Learn more at www.insurekidsnow.gov.
Need help signing up?
You can find trained helpers in your community to help you navigate the process: https://localhelp.healthcare.gov/#/
For more information and to sign up, visit www.healthcare.gov.
Last Updated 11/1/2017
Source American Academy of Pediatrics (Copyright © 2017)